To make the pancakes:
- Sift the flour into a bowl with the sugar.
- Make a well in the flour then add in the eggs and half of the milk and water.
- Using an electric whisk, start to combine the flour with the eggs and milk, adding the rest of the fluid until fully combined.
- Leave to stand while you make the oranges.
To make the caramelised oranges:
- To prepare the oranges cut off the top and bottom ends and stand the orange up. Using a sharp knife cut away the peel and outer skin in slices so that you are left with just the flesh. Insert your knife into each segment at the membrane and carefully tease out the juicy segment. Repeat until all of the oranges have been segmented.
- Retain the segments and any juice in a bowl.
- Cut up the peel into slices and place in a small saucepan with 80ml water. Bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes, then take off the heat and leave to steep while you make the caramel.
- Place 100g of sugar in a heavy bottomed pan and turn to a medium heat. Keep an eye on it until the sugar begins to melt and turn into liquid, all around the edges. Don't stir.
- When it has started to melt around the edges give the pan a shake and leave on the heat again until 1/4 of the sugar has melted.
- Gently stir with a wooden spoon until there are no sugar crystals left.
- Keep cooking gently until the caramel has turned the colour of dark runny honey.
- Remove from the heat and add the orange peel water (having removed the peel). Stand back as this may splutter. If it seizes a little, place back on a low heat and stir until all lumps have gone.
- Pour over the fruit and serve with the pancakes and a scoop of creme fraiche.