07 February 2018
Niki's Yazdi Cake recipe
Recipe reproduced by kind permission of Niki Bakes
Using a delicate blend of rose water and cardamom, these Persian sweet cakes encapsulate the true essence of love! Gluten and Dairy free recipe.
Recipe for Yazdi Squares flavoued with vanilla, rosewater and cardamom
(Makes up to 20 cake squares)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes (to include cooking time and pouring over the rosewater syrup)
For the Yazdi cake:
- 220g of almond flour
- 150g of coconut sugar
- 200ml of almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of Steenbergs Organic Fairtrade vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 100g finely ground pistachios
- 100ml of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
- 4-6 cardamom pods, podded and their seeds finely ground
For the rosewater syrup:
- 150ml of filtered water
- 2 teaspoons of Steenbergs organic rosewater
- 200g of pistachios, crushed
- 80g of coconut sugar (all melted together in a small saucepan for 5 minutes)
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 or 180°c and grease your square brownie baking dish with extra coconut oil and line with greaseproof paper. Whisk your melted coconut oil and coconut sugar with your vanilla extract, set aside.
2. In a larger mixing bowl whisk together your dry ingredients which include the almond flour, baking powder, ground pistachios, ground cardamom and Himalayan pink salt and start to fold in your ingredients with your wooden spoon. Spoon your cake mixture and bake in your oven for a minimum of 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow it to cool slightly.
3. Finally, prick your cake very gently with a fork and pour over the rosewater syrup, allowing it to seep through to your cake. Once completely cooled cut into squares and serve with some strong black tea, delicious!
Yazdi squares are gluten free and dairy free, flavoured with organic rose water, ground cardamom and organic Fairtrade vanilla extract